"The Fastest Connection To Your PC Experience" is the tag line used by Intel, the brand behind Thunderbolt I/0. The thunderbolt technology is designed to give the user a 10Gbps transfer rate in and out at the same time. Intel says that a single cable can be used to connect to various devices that will make use of the thunderbolt technology. Thunderbolt enabled products are compatible with existing DisplayPort devices, so the user doesn't need a new display to make use of this technology. The technology was designed keeping audio and video applications in mind, so we can be pretty sure that when Intel says "fast" they mean "fast".
Features listed by Intel are as follows
- Dual-channel 10 Gbps per port
- Dual-protocol (PCI Express* and DisplayPort*)
- Compatible with existing DisplayPort devices
- Electrical or optical cables
- Uses native protocol software drivers
- Power over cable for bus-powered devices
- Extend to reach other I/O technologies by using adapters. Simple to create a Gigabit Ethernet or eSATA adapters using existing device PCI Express drivers.